Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pie Crusts & Vanilla Pudding


Do you ever hear God telling you to do something that your not quite sure you should do?


Last Friday, Brady & I took Austin to see Toy Story 3. On the way into town, I noticed a homeless man sitting at a busy intersection. I wondering to myself: how did he get to be where he is? Physically I knew how he got there, he probably walked. I wanted to know what events in his life led him to begging for food and money. That could have been me. Tomorrow, Brady & I could lose our jobs...how would we support our family? I said a prayer for him and that was the end of it or so I thought.


The next day, I headed into town to buy Brady's Father's Day present. And as I approached that same busy intersection...there he was again. That homeless man was still there! As I turned into Wal-Mart, I felt God speaking to my heart. I knew He wanted me to do something. Something I didn't know if I could do. I don't give out money, because I don't know for sure what it will be spent on. As I thought about what I could do for this man God spoke to me and told me to get him some water. It is SUPER hot here in the south and I knew water was something this man could use. As I was driving around looking for a parking spot, I questioned God, but what if this man attacks me...what if...until my prayer resulted in: "Ok God...but You HAVE to protect me."



So into Wal-Mart with my own list of things and my list from God. As I gathered the things on my list, I soon forgot about the homeless man... the next items on my list were vanilla pudding & a pie crust. For some odd reason I could not find the pudding & pie crusts! I circled that grocery side for 10 minutes. Finally, I stopped to gather my thoughts. Wal-Mart had to have those things.


When I looked around, I noticed I was standing at the jugs of water. The light bulb went off in my brain...OH that man! So I got him a jug of water and placed it in my buggy. As I turned my buggy around and headed back down the row...what I should I find to my left!? Of course! It was the row with the pudding and pie crusts!


Sometimes I think that God makes us "blind" so that we can "see" the bigger picture. I have been reading the Bible a lot lately...looking for His will in my life. Praying, asking God what He wants me to do. And something I've learned is that: its not about me! Its all about Him! God's going to get His will done with or without me. So I figure if God is going to bless others, than I want to be there...to be the vessel that He uses.


As I left the parking lot, prepared to give this man the jug of water, I didn't see him. I thought after all that and he's not here....but as I rounded the corner I saw him. I stopped and called to him. At first, he didn't hear me so I yelled louder. He came over to the car and as I handed him the water he said to me "God bless you." I was trying to bless him and in return he blessed me!



At church Sunday the sermon was about our love for other people and our love for God. Our love for other people testifies of how much we love God. I feel that God is calling me to show my love for Him even if that means yelling across 3 lanes of traffic to a homeless man. I hope and pray that through that jug of water that man saw God's love and I hope and pray that those sitting in their cars saw God's love. I don't want others to see me...I want them to see God. I want them to see how much He loves us. I want everyone to see that no matter how poor we may be, God loves us all and will take care of our every need.


This blog may not make any sense to you, but I wanted to share how God touched my life. I went looking for pie crust and vanilla pudding and instead I found the love of God. So..how much do you love God? Can your friends/family say that you give love unconditionally to everyone? And can they say "Wow! I know she/he loves God!" I hope and pray that is what other people can say about me. I feel that this is God's will for my life. To show God's love to all.


Not for my glory but for the glory of God!


4 comments:

  1. this is such a wonderful story. God had you right where he needed you. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Rock, Julie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....Mom = Lisa Thompson...AIM only knows me as Mom...sorry....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Lisa- you are so funny:)

    ReplyDelete