Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Progress & Decline at Mexico Beach

Yes, that was me! I was the mother who let her child wear his tennis shoes and socks to the beach. And yes I didn't even care when he got them wet in the ocean.



Let me give you a little backward of why we let him wear his shoes to the beach. The past two times we took him to the beach he SCREAMED from the time we got there until the time we left. It was awful for all of us. We knew he loved to play in the dirt under the barn at home. So we rationalized that the only difference from the dirt at home and the beach was that at home he wore his shoes when he played outside.

So we gathered all the sand toys and made sure Lo had on his socks and shoes and we headed to the beach. And much to our surprise...it worked! He LOVED playing in the sand. He wasn't to crazy about the ocean, but he played in the sand without crying.
And by the end of our trip he was playing in the sand without any shoes!! Now we call that progress!




On the other side of progress is decline... it has only been in the past year that I began eating crab meat. I think all other seafood is nasty, however I can't eat crab meat if the shell is any where around the meat. It totally grosses me out and makes me gag. So on our last day of vacation we headed over to Tucan's to eat lunch. I was feeling adventurous so I deiced to order the New Orleans Po Boy with fried crab meat. I thought that sounded good, however I did not know what was about to unfold. After I devoured my fried pickles, they brought out our meals. Mine was first. When they set my plate down I was in total shock! Can you guess what it was?






It was a WHOLE soft shell crab. It had LEGS! It had PINCHERS! I started to gag! It was awful!
It still makes me gag now...almost 2 weeks later. It was like they ran out to the beach and picked up a crab and threw it in the fryer and then threw it on a piece of bread!



I told the waitress that I couldn't eat it. She and the manager were kind enough to offer me another meal, but I turned it down. After see Mr. Crabs from Sponge Bob Square Pants deep-fried on a piece of white bread...it took all I could do to keep down the french fries I eat off the boys' plates.



Too bad I don't have a picture to share with you, unfortunately that picture is forever burned into my memory! I think I may never eat crab meat again...expect for the crab meat at our local Chinese restaurant cause that's really not crab meat...My hubby says that it is fake crab meat, but who cares if it tastes good...that's probably why I can eat Captain D's fish because everyone knows that isn't "real" fish either.




Oh well....I may be in seafood decline but at least Lo made progress over his hatred of beach sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment